Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I am back with more! In The Oxford Book of Death, by D.J. Enright, I have read the section about The Hour of Death. These forty or so pages with short stories and poems offer interesting and different perspectives on the hour of death. I had not given much attention to the subject of death before taking this class. Now, I find it interesting to find so many different ways to look at death. Is it an event or a state? Is it a reflection of your life or a celebration of your death? Do you look forward to death? I mean do you look forward to that peaceful, resting that lasts forever? Does it really last forever? Is it your goal to fill your life while living so that you can actually rest when you die? Is death just time to rest? This section of the book provoked my thinking about all of this.
For example, C.G. Jung wrote, “Life is an energy-process. Like every energy-process, it is in principle irreversible and is therefore directed towards a goal. That goal is a state of rest.” This short poem continues; however, the first three lines grab your attention right away. This is the kind of reading that made me really analyze my own attitude about death. I have not decided if my ultimate goal is a state of rest. At this particular time in my life, it is all about keeping busy. Also, I have always been a multitasker; so, how could I possibly rest? I do not see that yet.
In addition, James Boswell wrote a short passage. “To my question, whether we might not fortify our minds for the approach of death, he answered, in a passion, ‘No, Sir, let it alone. It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.’ I think Boswell reinforces the opinion that dying is actually short. It is living that is important.
The next example is from Winston Churchill. He wrote, “I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” This made me laugh. It is right in tune with me. I have said something quite similar to this before. Specifically, the time when I met my son’s preschool teacher. I knew I was ready for him to go to preschool three mornings each week. I attended the orientation with my son, I remember the teacher following me through the classroom as I chased my two other children. She was trying to ask me a few questions about my son but could not get me to stand in one spot long enough to answer her. Looking back on that, it was funny. However, at the time it was probably frustrating for her. I still wonder if she was ready to meet me!

No comments:

Post a Comment